Quick Filo Pastry Snack
It takes less than 15 minutes to make and is filling on its own - make a puff pastry snack with a topping of your choice (or what's av...
Makes 20-25 pastry squares (10cm x 10cm) • Halal/Vegetarian • Preheat oven to 190˚ C
- 1 pack ready to roll filo pastry (defrost for 3hrs if frozen)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 250 grams of topping such as sautéed vegetables in spices, or cheese, or cooked meats such as minced leftover turkey/chicken pieces
To make a spicy vegetable filling, sauté 1 onion in olive oil on low heat until medium-brown. Stir in chopped vegetables of your choice until soft (courgettes, red bell peppers, spring onions, tomatoes) and sprinkle in a quarter teaspoon each of salt, red chilli powder, garlic and ginger powder, ground coriander seeds and ground cumin seeds. Cook on medium heat until the spices do not taste bitter.
- Roll out pastry into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface to a 3-4mm thickness.
- Cut out squares and transfer to a baking tray.
- Spoon a heaped teaspoon of topping in the middle of each pastry square.
- Bake for 8-12mins until puffy and steaming hot.
I couldn't resist.
Tip: experiment with sliced fruits (apples, peaches) topped with brown sugar to make a super quick dessert
+ Gingerbread Ramadan Cookie
+ 10 Minute Suhoor Recipes