Recipe: Gingerbread Men Cookies
With Ramadan just around the corner, what better way to jump start that festive joy than to share an easy cookie recipe that you can use t...
Recipe makes approximately 30 cookies and feeds 10 little people • Preheat oven to 180˚C /356˚ F • Vegetarian/Halal
• 340g plain flour (12 oz)
• 115g brown sugar (4 oz)
• 10g bicarbonate of soda
• 20g of ginger powder
• 170g butter (6 oz)
• 40ml golden syrup or treacle
• one egg
• jelly sweets and/or chocolate buttons
1) Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl to remove clumps. A pinch of salt enhances the flavours but is optional.
2) Chop small cubes of cold butter and immediately crumble into the mixture using your forefingers and thumb to make a sandy mixture.
3) Pour in the wet ingredients (syrup, egg) and mix together to form a pasty cement mixture.
4) Use your hands again to squash together the mixture, and then knead for 2-3 minutes to create a smoother, slightly sticky dough.
5) Roll out to 4-5mm thick on a floured surface. Anything thicker than a 1p coin (English) will produce cookies that are too puffy so the thinner the better. Using a larger cookie cutter though will require the dough to be thicker.
6) Use a shaped cutter about 10 cm wide to stamp out little Muslim men. Draw in expressions and mark where the ‘buttons’ should go with the stumpy side of a skewer.
7) Lift onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake at 180ºC for 6-8mins.
8) When the cookies look ‘tanned’, firm and lift without breaking, take out of the oven.
9) Completely cool.
10) Using chocolate buttons, icing (frosting) and sweets, decorate the gingerbread men.
Download this free recipe for your journal or share with friends:
+ The Eco Muslim Gingerbread Recipe
Peace + eco-jihad.
The Eco Muslim