There go my hopes of vegetarianism.
A Month to Month Meat Club - Welcome to American HalalBeef.Com. Our "American Halal Beef Steaks" are processed in a State-Of-The-Art Muslim-Owned and Operated Plant devoted to Halal slaughter in LA, California, USA.
The prices of the membership from the Steak Meat Club are insane and I've yet to read any influential reviews but their idea of a month-to-month Halal Meat Club sounds great for American Muslims who aren't within driving range to a halal-food community. We already have these here in Britain: They're called the Uncles that work behind the meat counter in every Muslim grocery store.
This is what the Halal Meat Club department had to say,
All our "Halal Beef" comes from cattle raised and slaughtered in The USA under our supervision. Our "American Halal Beef" is aged for 21 days or more for perfection.
We supply "American 21 Days Aged Halal Beef in cases, Portion controlled Steaks and Burgers" to our valued on line customers, international hotel chains, restaurants, hospitals, airlines, cruises, institutions and govt. agencies all over US and around the world.A
The concept of Halal and Zabihah is very important to practicing Muslims. Halal is an Arabic word meaning allowed or lawful.
The word Zabihah means to slaughter animals in accordance to Sharia.
To determine whether the meat is considered Zabihah and Halal:
- The animal should be slaughtered with an invocation of blessing from God
- Slaughtering also requires slitting the front neck from the vein to vein. The blood should be drained completely before the head is removed.
- The animal should be in legal possession of the owner, i.e. one cannot slaughter without legal possession.
- The animal is not sick or tortured <- Health benefits
- The animal needs to be slaughtered by a Muslim
- An animal cannot be slaughtered in front of another animal <- Emotional welfare
A good initiative though, what do you think?